One of the oldest and most prominent buildings in Virginia, Co. Cavan, the Courthouse situated on the busy Main street with it's attractive arch windows, hip slated roof and limestone quoins has recently undergone a makeover and has been tastefully modernised to meet it's present day function.
Originally built as the towns market house and town hall in around 1815 and during the tenure of the then Marquis of Headfort. The building has found many uses during it's existence. Church services were held here after a fire damaged the roof of the nearby Church of Ireland on Christmas night 1830. According to church records the marriage of Jane Roe to Thomas Hussey took place in the market house during February of 1831 and in the same year saw John Plant baptized here also.
Street fairs and markets were traditionally an important part of Virginia's existence, until the 1960's where all kinds of goods and livestock were traded and weighing of produce was undertaken inside the market house. The rooms upstairs were used for community functions and meetings. The building was bought by Cavan County Council in 1936, where it's primary use today is the local sitting of the district court with offices still in everyday use by the Council.